Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Fighting for the Rights of Injured Pedestrians in Georgia
Unfortunately, thousands of pedestrians are killed or severely injured in the United States every year. In 2018, there were 261 pedestrian fatalities in our state, an increase for the third year in a row according to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
The Fowler Firm in Atlanta has represented many victims of pedestrian accidents since we opened our doors in 2011. Our team of Atlanta pedestrian accident attorneys possesses a wealth of experience investigating, negotiating, and litigating claims on behalf of wrongfully injured clients throughout Georgia. When you choose us, we will fight for your right to a fair settlement that will cover all your accident-related expenses, including your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. We are available 24/7 in case of emergency and work on a contingency basis, meaning you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we win your case.
What Are the Main Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents may occur in a crosswalk, along a sidewalk, “soft” shoulder, or when someone is simply crossing the street. Though pedestrians are safest in crosswalks and on sidewalks, a collision with a motor vehicle can unfortunately occur any time a pedestrian is near a road. To best avoid accidents, both motorists and pedestrians should be as alert as possible at all times.
Some of the main causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Backing out: Vehicles back out out of driveways, parking spots, and other areas are prone to striking pedestrians, including children, if they don’t carefully monitor what is behind them.
- Bad weather: If a motorist fails to exercise caution in weather conditions such as fog, rain, or ice, it is easy for them to miss seeing a pedestrian in their way, or to stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Distracted driving: Often times the at-fault driver is distracted by a navigation system, cellular phone, or radio. Distracted driving is one of the most dangerous things you can do, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Driving while intoxicated: Drivers under the influence of drugs and alcohol have slower reaction times, making their driving skills impaired.
- Failing to stop, yield, or obey traffic laws: Motorists who roll through stop signs and traffic lights or who fail to yield to pedestrians who have the right of way are a common cause of crashes.
- Left-hand turns: Pedestrians are at risk of being hit by vehicles turning left because the driver’s attention is often more focused on the turn than on anyone who may be nearby.
- Speeding: Speeding is an especially dangerous form of reckless driving. When struck at high speeds, pedestrians suffer the most devastating injuries.
If you were injured during an accident as a pedestrian, reach out to one of the skilled attorneys at The Fowler Firm. Call (404) 995-1963 to schedule a free initial consultation as soon as possible.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Because pedestrians often have nothing standing between them and a moving vehicle, they can suffer from devastating injuries when involved in a traffic accident. Many pedestrian accidents even result in wrongful death for this reason.
Injures pedestrians often suffer in traffic accidents include:
- Bone fractures
- Catastrophic injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- PTSD and emotional trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
What To Do If You Are a Pedestrian Hit by a Car
Accidents can happen at any time. If you or someone you love is struck by a vehicle while you are out walking, it is important to know what to do.
- Seek medical attention right away, even if you do not feel hurt. Some injuries are slow to exhibit symptoms.
- Collect information from other parties, such as drivers or witnesses. Get driver's license information, insurance information, license plate numbers and more.
- Take pictures at the scene of the accident -- be sure to take photos of details that might be relevant to the accident.
- Contact the police so that a police report is filed and will support your claim.
- Call an experienced Atlanta pedestrian accident attorney near you as soon as possible. The details of the incident will still be fresh in your mind as well as in the minds of the witnesses and police -- if statements are needed from them, it will help your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
According to Georgia Statutes section O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33, you have two years to file a pedestrian accident claim before the statute of limitations ends. If the statute of limitations ends before you file a claim you will lose you right to do so. In some cases, there may be exceptions to this two year rule but the general advice is to err on the side of caution. You may benefit from speaking with a pedestrian accident attorney in Atlanta to understand what specific exceptions may apply to your situation.
Pedestrians Traffic Laws in Georgia
In Georgia, when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk, the driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow the pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. Additionally, when a pedestrian is entering a roadway at any point other than within a crosswalk the pedestrian shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway unless he or she has already entered the roadway under safe conditions.
Despite the laws and safety practices in place, hundreds of pedestrians are killed each year and many more suffer injuries.
How Our Legal Team Can Help You Win Compensation
Pedestrian accident cases are very fact-specific and involve a thorough investigation. Even if you were not in a crosswalk but were injured as a pedestrian, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Please feel free to contact our office if you or a family member has been injured in a pedestrian collision to discuss the options that you may have in seeking recovery from the at-fault party. Our Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyers will do everything we can to obtain the just commendation you deserve.
Thankful- Workers' Compensation Client
$1 Million Truck Accident
$1 Million Commercial Car Accident
$995,000 Wrongful Death
$545,000 Truck Accident
$400,000 Car Accident
$400,000 Bicycle Accident
$390,000 Truck Accident
$300,000 Car Accident
$250,000 Truck Accident
$250,000 Car Accident
We rigorously litigate cases and negotiate settlements. We are experienced litigators and are willing to fight for you.
Dedicated & Driven
We treat each case as though it is going to go to trial to ensure that you obtain the compensation you deserve.
We communicate regularly to ensure you understand every step of your case. You will have direct access to your attorney.
We genuinely care about you and strive to ease your pain. It is our goal to reduce the stress of an already difficult situation.